The Council of Veterinary Surgeons has been in existence since 1962. It is a self-regulatory body of the veterinary profession in Zimbabwe, established under the Veterinary Surgeons Act, Chapter 27:15.
- Councillors: Four elected by the profession and two appointed by the Minister of Agriculture, Mechanization and Irrigation Development.
- Term of office: Three years, in effect since 1975.
- Council Secretariat: The full-time Registrar of Veterinary Surgeons, supported by an Office Assistant.
- Function of Council: Hold inquiries and other activities required for the proper regulation of the practice of the profession of veterinary surgery and medicine and the improvement of veterinary services in Zimbabwe.
- Council Remuneration: Registration fees and other moneys payable to the Council in terms of the Veterinary Surgeons Act [Chapter 27:15].
- Council membership: Three hundred and twenty-eight, as at 31st December 2016.
- Council Sub-committees: Board of Examiners
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Accreditation